Children, Their Vision and Its Importance to Learning
One in 4 children has a vision problem. Since 80% of what a child learns is through their eyes, children with poor vision can have difficulty learning or have to work extra hard to overcome their poor vision. Children lack the experience before the age of 9 or 10 to know what normal vision is. Many children are misdiagnosed as learning disabled when in fact, they have an easily correctable vision disorder. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that children have a complete eye examination by an optometrist before the age of 3 years and then every year thereafter. Children as young as 6 months of age can be examined. School vision screenings should never take the place of a complete eye health and vision exam by a trained optometrist. Parents that do not have their children’s eyes tested may cause the child to develop a life-long visual disability known as lazy eye or amblyopia.
What you should know after your child’s eye exam:
- Are my child’s eyes healthy?
- Can my child see well at all distances, see well without eyestrain?
- Does my child see colors normally?
- Does my child have normal binocular vision and depth perception?
Here are some symptoms that may indicate a child is having vision problems:
- sits close to the television
- has trouble reading or avoids reading
- has trouble seeing street signs or recognizing familiar faces
- squints often
- tilts their head frequently
- seems clumsy or bumps into objects frequently
- displays anti-social behaviour
- experiences headaches
- is having difficulty at school
Your vision matters to us.
Comprehensive Eye Exams and Premium Eyewear in Mississauga
- We offer comprehensive eye care and quality eye care products.
- Direct Insurance Billing.
- Fair pricing, including senior's discounts and 2 for 1 children's lenses. Click here for our latest promotions.
- Online appointment booking for added convenience.
- Extended office hours and Saturday appointments available.
- A full range of contact lens services, a wide selection of eye wear and digital lens technology from leading industry suppliers.
- All emergency visits accepted.
- We offer digital retinal exams to aid in the detection and treatment of eye disease and improved eye health monitoring.
- Unbiased expertise in laser eye surgery and cataract surgery co-management.
- We offer low vision assessments and aids for patients suffering from impaired vision.
- Most of all, your vision matters to us.
What Patients Say About Our Mississauga Eye Care Clinic
- 98% rated their overall satisfaction as either excellent or very good.
- 99% achieved a good understanding of their eye health & vision correction options.
- 97% of our patients surveyed felt the thoroughness of care they received was excellent or very good.
- 100% rated the helpfulness of our staff as excellent or good.
- 100% of our patients rated the friendliness of our staff as very good or good.
- 83% of our patients were seen within 15 minutes of their appointment time.
- 88% rated us a "9" or "10 out of 10".
Last updated March 21, 2018.
Dr. Jeff Sciberras – your trusted Mississauga optometrist - is committed to helping you achieve the best in eye care, eye glasses, contact lenses and laser vision correction.